1928 McLaughlin Buick Automobile – Canada Museum of Science and Technology

September 18, 2013

0 Comment



Object Name: Automobile
Artist/Maker/Manufacturer/Founder: General Motors of Canada Ltd.
Material/Medium/Support: wood, lizard skin, metal, rubber
Earliest Production Date and Latest Production Date: manufactured in 1927
Dimension (H x W x D in centimetres): Height: 160 cm, Width: 174 cm, Length: 485 cm
Accession #: 1986.0157.001
Institution Name: The Canada Science and Technology Museum

Transcript

The 1928 model year McLaughlin-Buick is one of two Canadian custom-built cars for the 1927 Royal Tour of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) and his brother the Duke of York (later King George V1). The sons of Robert McLaughlin of the McLaughlin Carriage Company, Sam and George, formed the McLaughlin Motor Car Company in 1908. They struck a fifteen year deal with William C. Durant of Buick in Flint, Michigan for rights to the Buick’s running gear. Built on a 1928 long wheelbase chassis, these two cars were the only vehicles built by McLaughlin-Buick during that year which comfortably seated seven people. The McLaughlin-Buick is a four-door convertible painted desert sand with a turquoise trim mounted on Buffalo wire wheels. Various engine components are nickel plated, such as the valve and pushrod covers, fan and water manifolds. The interior upholstery is clad in tan lizard leather. In all its detailing, the car embodies a class and elegance fit for royalty as well as reflects the heritage of craftsmanship used in Canadian carriage making.

Silvia Sorbelli

Description

The 1928 model year McLaughlin-Buick is one of two Canadian custom-built cars for the 1927 Royal Tour of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) and his brother the Duke of York (later King George V1). The tour commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Confederation – also known as the Diamond Jubilee. With a keen interest in technological development the sons of Robert McLaughlin of the McLaughlin Carriage Company, Sam and George, formed the McLaughlin Motor Car Company in 1908. They struck a fifteen year deal with William C. Durant of Flint Michigan Buick for rights to the Buick’s running gear, including the engine and related parts. The McLaughlin-Buick automobile manufactured in Oshawa, Ontario was staunchly different in appearance from a regular Buick, “[sticking] out like a Mississippi gambler at a prayer meeting” (Heather Roberston, Driving Force, 129). Built on a 1928 long wheelbase chassis, these two cars were the only vehicles built by McLaughlin or Buick during that year which comfortably seated seven people. The McLaughlin-Buick is a four-door convertible painted desert sand with a turquoise trim mounted on Buffalo wire wheels. Various engine components are nickel plated, such as the valve and pushrod covers, fan and water manifolds. The interior upholstery, clad in tan lizard leather was also originally used to cover the additional two side-mount tires. In all its detailing, the car embodies a class and elegance fit for royalty as well as reflecting the heritage of craftsmanship used in Canadian carriage making.

Silvia Sorbelli

Read essay about the object »

Share this on Facebook Share this on Twitter Share this on Pinterest

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Challenge-Response