Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
Millet Through One Hundred Years
Millet and District Museum and Archives
Millet , Alberta

Enter

   Millet officially became a
town on June 17, 1903. It was
formed by an Order in Council
under the authority of
section 3 of the Village
Ordinance of the North West
Territories. W.F. Blades was
appointed Returning Officer
to elect an Overseer. An
election was held June 29,

1903, and James Blades became
Millet's first Overseer.
   Millet received its name
when Sir William Van Horne,
president of the Canadian
Pacific Railway, asked his
good friend, Father Lacombe,
a Catholic missionary, to
name all of the stations from
the Town of Lacombe north to

Edmonton. So, Father Lacombe
named Millet after his long
time traveling companion and
canoe man, August Millet.
August Millet was also a fur
buyer and trader who did
business with Millet's first
resident, Ben Slaughter,
another fur buyer. In 1896, a
Post Office was opened in Ben

Slaughter's store.
   In the fifty or so years
that followed, Millet grew in
population to about 400 and
for many years provided an
adequate business centre for
its residents and those of
the surrounding area.
   In the 1970s, the face of
Millet changed with the

  Next
Important Notices  
© 2014 All Rights Reserved