Fairfield - A Chronology
Fairfield historic site with reconstructed log cabin and monument
Led by Moravian missionaries, Delaware Indians from Ohio came to Upper Canada and settled on the north bank of the Thames River about four miles east of Thamesville. This site is now referred to as Old Fairfield, the location of the park and museum.
Death of Tecumseh at the Battle of the Thames,
Thames River east of Thamesville
This village was destroyed by the American forces in their pursuit of the British army
'The Indian Chruch at New Fairfield U.C. 1842. Drawn by L.F. Kampmann '
The Moravians secured a site on the south bank of the river, where they built a church, school and mission house, which have been maintained as a memorial to Moravians and their Christian Indians. This is known as New Fairfield.
Morvian Church of New Fairfield, built in 1848
3 March 2005
The interests of the Moravians, including the buildings of the farm, were turned over to the Methodist Church. The sum of $2000 was paid for the property.
Crest of the United Church of Canada
3 March 2005
Responsibility for this property passed to the United Church of Canada
Wilfrid Jury at Fairfield
Interest in the area was revived by John MacNicol, with assistance from Wilfrid Jury, who excavated the site of Old Fairfield. With the support of Mr. W.A. McGeachy and a strong committee the memorial site set up on #2 Highway. The property for the latter was purchased by Mr. McGeachy and donated to the United Church of Canada (April, 1943).
Fairfield Museum, 1960's