Port Moody Station MuseumPort Moody, British Columbia
Lumbermills of Port Moody
The Robert McNair Shingle Company Limited
In 1891 Robert McNair and his brother opened a shingle mill and logging camp at Hastings. The Robert McNair Shingle Company started operating at Hastings in 1904. In 1913 they signed a 25 year lease to use BC Electric Co. railway tracks from Coquitlam Lake. McNair's second and more modern shingle mill opened at Port Moody in 1914. It was logging on Coquitlam Mountain and at Deep Cove.
In 1932 Robert McNair died and his wife, Annie McNair, became president of the Robert McNair Shingle Co. Her son Earl eventually became secretary-treasurer and along with his sisters Mattie, Bessie, and Dorethy managed the company until it was destroyed in 1959 by fire. Prior to the fire the mill purchased Stave Falls Lumber Company, primarily for their timber rights. By 1954 the mill had ceased operations and in 1959 was destroyed by fire.