Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
Historic St. George's Church
St. George's Heritage Museum
Brigus , Newfoundland and Labrador

Enter

   St. George's Church in
Brigus is an impressive
example of the Gothic Revival
style of architecture in
Newfoundland and Labrador.
Built in 1876 under the
supervision of George C.
Jerrett, presumably by men of
the congregation and other
town residents, St. George's

is an imposing landmark,
visible from both the land
and the sea.
   Always a centrepiece of
the Brigus community, St.
George's served the area's
Anglican congregation until
2004, when it was sold to the
St. George's Heritage
Committee Inc. as a

registered heritage
structure. Now, the elaborate
interior of St. George's
serves the community as a
museum and a concert hall.
   Visitors to this
Community Memories exhibit
will be impressed with the
church's open gable beam and
timber ceilings and plastered

walls, all in nearly original
condition. The beautifully
carved pine alter, pulpit,
choir pews and frontals,
communion rail, pews and
christening font are all
original to the building as
well. The church's older
vessels and artifacts are
displayed in covered glass

  Next
Important Notices  
© 2014 All Rights Reserved