||The introduction of dry-plate photography freed craftsmen
from the studio and created the itinerant, or travelling, commercial photographers. They
arrived in British Columbia with the first gold seekers and naturally followed the
prospectors north to each new gold discovery.
During the Klondike gold rush, E.A. Hegg established a studio at Dyea,
Alaska and advertised "Views of the White Pass and Dawson". His studio was a
shack built from the remains of a dory and he pitched a tent inside to use as a dark room.
Hegg was successful enough to take over the photographic business of Case & Draper,
who had studios in Skagway and at Lake Bennett. Per Edward Larss worked for Hegg in Bennett
and again in Dawson City before they formed a partnership, first called Hegg & Co.,
and later, Hegg and Larss. In 1899 Larss went into partnership with Joseph Duclos and they bought many of Hegg's
photographs when he departed, in 1899, for another gold rush, this time in Nome, Alaska.
© Government of
Yukon Heritage Branch 2001. All Rights Reserved