FHBRO # Not applicable
LOL # 1007
BUILT Original lighthouse built 1881
POSITION 46 07 00.9 N 63 10 51.8 W on the south east side of the island
LIGHT White light: flash 4 seconds, eclipse 4 seconds
FOCAL POINT 20.6 m (68 ft)
TOWER HEIGHT 9.1 m (30 ft)
NOMINAL RANGE 12.8 km (8 miles)
The original lighthouse was built in the square tapered style. It was made of wood and clad in cedar shingles. An early photograph shows no dwelling attached, and pediments over the door and windows. It was 6.1 m (20 feet) at the base and 1.6 m (5 feet 3 inches) at the top. It had a galvanized iron lantern.
A 1964 Coast Guard photograph shows the installation of a cylindrical metal tower which bore a strong resemblance to a highway culvert. This tower replaced the wooden one. Present records indicate a white square tower with a red upper portion. This is one of several which cannot be reached by car.