Beacons of Light - Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island Virtual Museum of Canada
Navigation
             

Cape Bear Lighthouse

Cape Bear Lighthouse is perched on the southeastern tip of Prince Edward Island, where it has guided mariners since 1881. It was built soon after the Island joined Confederation, during a period when the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait were teeming with fishing boats and international shipping fleets.

Cape Bear Lighthouse experienced many changes during its existence and was moved several times in response to severe cliff erosion. The Marconi Wireless Telegraph Station, famous for being the first Canadian land station to receive a distress signal from the sinking Titanic, was located on the site until 1922.

Although the light is now automated, Cape Bear Lighthouse continues to provide navigation to mariners in the Northumberland Strait. Under the direction of a local non-profit group the lighthouse has been restored and remains a popular draw for tourists and lighthouse enthusiasts in the summer months.

Cape Bear Lighthouse 2006 CMA PEI
  Cape Bear Lighthouse 2006
   
Cape Bear Panorama link
 
Cape Bear Lighthouse video tour
 
 
 
© 2007, Community Museums Association of Prince Edward Island Comments Credits Home Francais