Nikolai Petrovich Krymov
Born in Moscow in 1884. Died in the same city in 1958. As the son of an artist, Nikolai Krymov got his first lessons from his father, and then graduated from the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in Vasnetsov's class of landscape painting. He also followed the advice of V.A. Serov, A.Ye. Arkhipov, and L.O. Pasternak. His entire life is associated with Moscow. During the different periods of his creative life, he painted landscapes in various styles. At times he was inspired by classical European landscape of the 17th and 18th centuries, and sometimes by primitive childlike creativity. Beginning in 1905, Krymov grew closer to the artists who formed the “Blue Rose” society in 1907. In his works of that period, the reality of a perceived motif connects with the subjective vision of the artist, resulting in an imaginary world of symbolic landscapes. Krymov was also a member of the “Union of Russian Artists,” and in Soviet times was bestowed numerous honorary titles and was regarded as a patriarch of landscape painting. Krymov always devoted a great deal of attention to the most unassuming corners of nature, and had a gift for subtle color and an almost epic outlook on nature.
End of the 1930s
Manuscript department of State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow
Works by this artist