Images & Copyright
Unless otherwise noted, all materials that are part of this website, including images, illustrations, designs, icons, photographs, video clips, written material and others are copyrights, trademarks, trademark and/or other intellectual properties owned, controlled or licensed by Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN) or its member museums. This site is managed by CHIN, a special operating agency of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
We invite you to use the material on this website for educational and personal purposes. Information may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from CHIN and/or its member museums. We ask only that you:
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- Identify the Virtual Museum of Canada (VMC) as the source institution and, if possible, link to the page containing the information;
- Keep intact copyright and other proprietary notices with the material;
- Do not represent the reproduction as an official version of the materials reproduced, nor as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of the VMC.
Commercial and Other Reproduction
Express permission from the VMC or other indicated copyright owners is required if you wish to modify, copy, reproduce, republish, post, transmit or distribute the material in any way for any other purposes, especially commercial.
How to Obtain Permission to Use Images and Third-Party Materials
To obtain more information on copyright of images and third-party materials, such as audio and video files, individuals should contact the contributing institution:
- Find the contributing museum and copyright information by looking below each image/material in the VMC;
- Locate the name of the contributing museum in Museums in Canada and obtain the contact information for the contributing museum;
- Contact the contributing museum to find out how to obtain the rights for the image. Mention the name of the image/material and the purpose for which you wish to use it. Also, please provide your contact information.