M u s e u m  C r e a t e d  L e s s o n

The Impacts of the Railway

BasSaintL

Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Rivière-du-Loup, Quebec

The first station, in 1860

station, Grand Trunk, Rivière-du-Loup

The first station was built in 1860 in yellow brick from Scotland, above the big falls of the Rivière du Loup. This was the terminus of the Grand Trunk line arriving from Lévis. The village was mainly situated close to the St. Lawrence shore in those days, and few people lived in the area where the station was built. A locomotive repair shop, a structure to keep wood, a water tower, and a shed to store merchandise were the total installations at the time.

©Musée Mc Cord, William Notman, N-0000.193.53.2
1860
Rivière-du-Loup, Quebec, CANADA
Photograph

© 2010, Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent. All Rights Reserved.