Trembowla Historic Site & Museum/The Cross of Freedom Inc.
Région touristique : Parkland
The first Ukrainian settlement from Europe was established in 1896, in the Trembowla area along the Drifting River, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The following spring, Reverend Nestor Dmytriw arrived from Pennsylvania to celebrate the first Ukrainian Catholic Liturgy on Canadian soil for the Pioneers. To commemorate the occasion, the settlers erected a large Cross of Freedom representing freedom in a new land. Later that year on September 12, 1897, the settlers of Volkiwtsi, known as Mink River, were also visited by Rev. Dmytriw, who consecrated their cemetery and advised them to build a Church. The following year, the settlers erected a small chapel of logs and later built an addition to the permanent Church. It was consecrated in 1902 as St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church and served the Parish of Mink River until 1960.
The Church was relocated to the Cross of Freedom Historic Site in 1967 where it is preserved to this day as the first and oldest Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada.
Renseignements sur les collections
The collection consists of: road-side Historic Site, monuments, the first Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada which is preserved on Site. Historic Buildings include: St. Michael's Church, Trembowla School, Wasyl Ksionzyk Home, and replica of a pioneer home. Clay bake oven. In addition, a Grotto has been built to celebrate the centennial of St. Michael's Church (1998). The Grotto, built to the Blessed Virgin Mary, has appropriate plaques relating the history and first parishioners of St. Michael's Church. As well, a statue of the Blessed Mother of the Universe was donated by St. Elizabeth Parish of Polonia.
Collection of old School books, attendance records of Trembowla School dating back to 1919. Church records from St. Michael's Church, dating 1920 to 1960.
Architectural Records •
Prints and Drawings •
Autre : Ukrainian Church books and Bibles
Furniture or Furnishings
Autre : Church banners, chandelier, tabernacle
Canadian • European
Autre période : 1896-1966
Média : Painting • Photography • Prints and Drawings • Sketchbooks or Albums
Cross of Freedom commemorates the site of the first Ukrainian Divine Liturgy.
Costumes and Accessories
Furniture or Furnishings
Household Objects or Domestic Technology
Religious or Liturgical Objects
Autre : Clay bake oven.
Small collection of fossils and rocks.
Sciences de la Terre et collections géologiques
Services de recherche
Classes or Workshops
Information aux Visiteurs
Accessible by Public Transportation
Information Centre or Desk
Nature Trails, Walks or Gardens
Reminiscence or Oral History Kits
Special Needs Facilities
: Wheelchair access
Autres visites guidées : Ukrainian
Services de bénévoles
Volunteer Services Available •
Volunteer Training Offered
Nombre de bénévoles : 20
Tâches : Prepare food for annual event; clean and maintain historic buildings; do grant applications, fundraising, publicity and promotional programs
Free luncheon, Volunteer Appreciation Day, souvenirs
Services de restauration
Publications et produits
Video - Centennial Celebration (100th Anniversary of Ukrainian Settlement) 1896-1996
Annual Reports •
Museum Guide •
T-Shirts or Sweatshirts or Caps
Autre : Centennial Cook Book 1996
121 - 7th Avenue Southeast
Voir la carte
By Appointment •
Open May to September 9:00 to 5:00 and by appointment.
Droits d'entrée :
Admission by Donation