Amos Seaman School Museum

Tourism Region: Glooscap Trail

The Amos Seaman School Museum is an original Acadian one-room school house, that houses a collection of photos, documents and models commemorating the life and achievements of Amos "King" Seaman, an 19th Century industrialist and merchant. Genealogy of the Seaman family and other local families is included in the museum and the collection covers the history of the area's fishing industry and grindstone quarries, complete with models showing Minudie over 100 years ago. The furniture and fixtures are original.

The museum is a provincial heritage building and there are two other heritage buildings within walking distance, the catholic church, St. Denis and the Seaman Universalist Church. Minudie boasts two cemeteries and an interpretive park all within a short distance from the old school house.
Acadian dykes and beautiful marshland complete the picture!

Visit

Location

Address: 
5518 Barronsfield Road
Minudie, Nova Scotia
B0L 1G0

Telephone: 902-251-2289
Fax: 902-251-2422

Mailing Address: 
Amos Seaman School Museum
5558 Barronsfield Road, River Hebert, Nova Scotia
B0L 1G0

Visit the Website
Email Us

Hours of Operation

Operations: Seasonal

Tours
Genealogy
Heritage Workshops
Internet Access to Visitors

Open: July 1st to September 1st 10am to 6pm
For off season call 902-251-2289/902-251-2422 or e-mail minudieheritage@gmail.com

Closed:

Administration fees

Admission: Free
Donations are welcome

About Collections

Collection of photos, documents, models and artifacts of the 19th century, relevant to Minudie and the local area history and industry at that time, in particular to the life of Amos Seaman.

Approximate number of objects in the collections: 500 +

Archives

Photographs, maps,newspapers,documents, books

Photographs • Textual Records

Decorative Arts

Original furniture and fixtures
Metal object/tools

Human History

Farm Tools/implements
War memorabilia
Forestry implements
Maps
Original Acadian aboiteau

Costumes and Accessories • Fisheries • Forestry • Furniture or Furnishings • Household Objects or Domestic Technology • Industrial Technology and History • Local History • Maps, Charts, Plans or Blueprints • Memorabilia • Oral History

Services & Activities

Genealogy
Tours
Internet access to visitors
Workshops for other heritage groups/interested individuals

Research Services

Genealogy on Seaman and local area families

Archival Records • Conservation or Restoration • Genealogical Research • Information Centre

Educational Programs

School visits available on request
School program being developed for grade 4-6 & junior high

Classes or Workshops • School Programs : Age 5-11 (k-6) : Age 12-17 (7-13)(Quebec: Secondary 1-CEGEP)

Visitor Services

Visitor Information
Washroom Facilities
Picnic area
Internet access
Bus Tours - with advance notice
Parking

Guided Tours : English : French • Information Centre or Desk • Nature Trails, Walks or Gardens • Gift shop • Special Needs Facilities : Washrooms : Wheelchair access • Washrooms • Parking Facilities : Free : Bus
Other Guided Tours: French brochure
Bilingual tours provided with advance notice

Volunteer Services

Volunteer Services Available • Volunteer Training Offered

Number of Volunteers: 12

Activities: Fund raising
Assisting with preservation of collection

Food Services

Picnic Area

Picnic Area

Internet Services

General InformationEventsEducationLocal History

Local Tourism Links

Local Attractions

Publications & Products

Brochure
Visitor Information
Postcards - of Minudie attractions
Calendars - Minudie past & present
Newsletter
Local historical publications
Community Memories CD - King Seaman - His Legacy Continues

Brochures • CD-ROMS • Newsletters • Postcards • T-Shirts or Sweatshirts or Caps • Commemorative Souvenirs

Images

Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum

Amos Seaman 1860.

For © contact Amos Seaman School Museum. All rights reserved.

Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum

The Old Minudie Wharf.

For © contact Amos Seaman School Museum. All rights reserved.

Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum

The Seaman Homestead in 1875, also known as “Grindstone Castle or Grindstone Palace.

For © contact Amos Seaman School Museum. All rights reserved.

Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum

The Seaman Grindstone Quarry in late 1800's.

For © contact Amos Seaman School Museum. All rights reserved.

Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum

Shad fishing in Minudie.

For © contact Amos Seaman School Museum. All rights reserved.



Image highlighting the museum Amos Seaman School Museum